Phra Thi Nang Vimanmek, located behind Bangkok's National Assembly on Uthong
Nai Road, is considered to be the world's largest building made entirely of
golden teak. Vimanmek, meaning 'Palace of the Clouds' was originally built in
1868 as a summer house on Si Chang Island and moved to its present site in
1910. The palace was closed in 1935 and reopened in 1982 to coincide with the
The three-storey wooden palace has 81 rooms, halls and ante-rooms, excluding
terraces and verandahs. Vimanmek served as King Rama V's residence at the turn
of the century and still contains many of his personal effects, antiques and
works of art.
Near the entrance to Vimanmek Palace is the Royal Carriage Museum where 13
royal horse-drawn carriages from the reign of King Rama V are housed.
Although not a temple, Vimanmek is within the grounds of Chitralada Palace and
visitors should wear respectful clothing.
Vimanmek is open daily from 9.30 am to 4.00 pm with a 100 baht admission
fee. Guides are available free of charge every 30 minute. The ticket of the
Grand Palace include for sight seeing here.