Wat Phra Sing was built in the 14th century by
King Phayco of the Mengrai dynasty. It may have been the first monastery to
house the Emerald Buddha, a cultural treasure that now resides at the royal
palace in Bangkok. Wat Phra Sing currently houses Pra Thongtip, the most
venerated Buddha statue in northern Thailand. Cast in 1477, it is made of an
alloy of gold and copper.